You may be surprised to learn that menstrual bloating doesn’t just come from the reproductive tract it also can comes from the digestive tract.
Here’s why: constipation in the intestines can lead to fermentation, which then leads to the production of gas.
To get a better picture, you may want to think of a compost pile. As the compile post ferments it begins to release more and more gas. It’s the same process in your intestines. Only unlike the compost pile which releases its gas out into the air, the gas in your intestines is trapped by the walls of the intestines – so it distends the walls, which causes the pain of bloating.
Luckily, there are several Chinese herbs for PMS bloating that also reduce bloating within the digestive system.
You can take these herbs in capsule form or in tea. It can also be beneficial to a take a supplement or period vitamin that contains multiple herbs.
Here are some of the herbs that can help relieve bloating:
- Dong quai – This herb acts to cleanse the liver and relieve bloating.
- Chen pi – This herb specifically eases bloating in the abdomen and also improves digestion.
- Wolfberry fruit – This herb is high in antioxidants and is often used to treat a hyperactive liver.
- Shu Fu Zi – This is a natural diuretic that gets rid of excess fluid.
- Honey – yes, honey can help relieve bloating – and it doesn’t taste bad either!
- Dried ginger root – Calms both the body and your mind – more specifically it relaxes the nervous system.
- White peony root – Another diuretic herb that eases bloating. This herb should be used along with other herbs, not by itself.
- Lindera root – Another herb that is traditionally used in a formula. It helps resolve frequent urination and/or pain in the abdomen.
- Clove flower bud – Eliminates intestinal gas and as an added bonus also freshens breath.
- Fennel seed – Absorbs gas in the intestinal tract and also acts to calm you during your period.
- Black cardamon – Relieves indigestion and eliminates intestinal gas.
- Evodia fruit – Lowers cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels, and triglycerides.
- Tangerine peel – Relieves PMS and also acts like a tranquilizer.
- Licorice root – Cleanses the liver and also promotes a good mood.
Remember, not all herbs work the same for all people. Some of these herbs might be better for than others. The only way to determine that is to try all of the herbs or to take a period vitamin that contains multiple ingredients.